In a recent post, I mentioned getting some hachiya persimmons from my friend’s mom. I’m so thankful that she is sweet enough to remember me every year. The first thing I did was to eat a few of them raw, so good! Next, I decided to make persimmon jam for the first time, which came out great! The last few finally ripened a few days ago; I decided to use them to create this Persimmon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. The cake turned out even better than I expected. I’m excited to pass thsi recipe along to you!
Hachia Vs. Fuyu Persimmons
In my persimmon jam post, I explained the differences between Hachiya and Fuyu persimmons. If you are not familiar with these differences, please refer to that recipe to get some clarification. Below, you will find the image I shared in that post. As you can see, they look quite different.
Persimmon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
With Thanksgiving being right around the corner, this Persimmon Cake would be perfect for any Thanksgiving menu. A great thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time. I don’t know about you, but I welcome any recipe that frees up my stove around the holidays. So what do you say you put on your Thanksgiving apron, and we get busy?
More Persimmons, Please!
Wouldn’t you know it, right after we had eaten all of the persimmons, my husband came home with a huge bag of Fuyu persimmons and limes. A friend from work recently purchased a house with a yard full of fruit trees. Lucky for us, they like to share! I guess you could say that the persimmon gods are smiling down on us. 🙂 We’ve now worked out a deal. They give me fruit off their trees, and I make delicious treats to share with them, like this persimmon cake. You could say it’s a win-win situation.
Do you Pinterest? Please pin & share
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating!
A perfect combination of persimmon and pumpkin, resulting in a moist and delicious cake!
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 4 oz container apple sauce
- 3/4 cup hachiya persimmon pulp very ripe
- 1-1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 T. unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, persimmon pulp, and pumpkin to a mixing bowl. Mix on medium until creamy.
- Mix in all the dry ingredients, finishing off with the flour. Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9" x 13" pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until the batter is firm to the touch.
- While the cake is baking, clean the mixer bowl to use for the cream cheese frosting. Add butter and cream cheese to the mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Mix in the vanilla and set aside.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake. Try to keep your family away until ready to serve it.