A San Diego Classic, the California Burrito is loaded with diced Carne Asada, fries, cheese & more!
Servings: 1 Burrito
- 4 oz. Carne Asada (diced)
- 20 French fries (less if using thicker fries)
- 2 tablespoon creamy guacamole
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- ⅓ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (diced)
- 1 tablespoon onion (diced)
- 1 large large flour tortilla
Making a California Burrito isn’t hard, but it does require some planning ahead of time. This includes marinating the Carne Asada, cooking the french fries, making the salsa, and the Creamy Guacamole prior to assembly.
Begin by marinating the Carne Asada for a minimum of three hours.
Prepare Creamy Guacamole then cover and set aside until needed.
Fry, bake, or air fry fries in the oven.
Cook diced Carne Asada in a hot cast-iron skillet until slightly charred and cooked through.
Slightly char an extra large tortilla over a flame, to soften.
Spread some creamy guacamole and sour cream on the tortilla.
Add cooked Carne Asada, and hot fries in the middle of the burrito.
Add shredded cheese, salsa (or pico de gallo), diced onion, and cilantro.
Roll the burrito tightly and microwave for one minute (to melt the cheese). Enjoy!
- If you're in a hurry, use diced sirloin, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder instead of marinated Carne Asada.
- If you're watching calories, cook the french fries in the oven, according to directions on the bag instead of frying them. You can also use an air-fryer.
- To cut down on calories, use can also use smaller tortillas or low-carb tortillas instead.
- I recommend softening the tortillas first by charring them quickly over a stove-top.
- Some people like to add refried beans or rice to their California Burritos. Personally, I don't think rice goes well in this recipe. However, refried beans or even chorizo beans would be complimentary in a California Burrito.
- Love extra spicy food? Toss in some freshly sliced or pickled jalapenos!
Serving: 1burrito | Calories: 704kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 38g | Saturated Fat: 33g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g