Fire Roasted Salsa
Spicy, smoky, and delicious Arbol Chile Salsa recipe.
Servings: 3 (8 oz) jars
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cup Arbol Chiles
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
Break stems off of Chiles and add to measuring cup until you have two cups of chiles.
Add oil to a hot pan and roast chiles until they start to blacken.
Place charred chiles in a bowl and cover with two cups of boiling water. Allow to stand for fifteen minutes until chiles rehydrate/soften. Stir and push chiles down into the liquid periodically.
Meanwhile, add onion and garlic to the same pan. Roast for a few minutes until they begin to blacken. Remove from pan and add to a blender, along with the tomatoes, and blend.
Add chiles to the blender, and puree until the desired consistency is reached. Add liquid that chiles were in to dilute the salsa further, if desired.
Mix in vinegar, salt, and cumin. Adjust seasoning to your preference. Break out the chips and enjoy!
- Replace canned tomatoes with 3 broiled Roma tomatoes.
- Add fresh lime juice instead of vinegar.
- Replace some of the Arbol Chiles with milder dried chiles such as Pascilla peppers, Guajillo chiles, or Ancho chiles.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to balance out the acidity of the salsa.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 84mg | Sugar: 2g