Cheese Burek Recipe (Börek)
Crispy, cigar-shaped Burek with a cheese and herb filling.
- 8 ounce feta cheese (crumbled)
- 16 ounce mozzarella (shredded)
- ½ cup Italian parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 T. chives (fresh or dried)
- 1 medium serrano pepper (diced)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 1 lb. packages of egg roll wrappers
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Stir crumbled feta cheese and shredded mozzarella into a medium-sized bowl. Add parsley, dill, chives, and Serrano pepper. Mix to combine.
Add chopped black olives and a beaten egg to bind everything together.
Place egg roll wrapper on a flat working surface. Add approximately 1-½ tablespoons of filling towards the bottom of the wrapper and mold it into a log.
Dab the corners of the wrapper with water (or a beaten egg) then fold the sides over the filling. Roll the bottom portion of the wrapper over the filling.
Continue rolling tightly upwards until the Burek is completely sealed.
Place seal-down on a platter and continue until all the filling is used up.
Frying the Burek
Heat vegetable oil in a small skillet until it reaches 350-degrees F.
Using tongs, carefully place a few Burek into the hot oil and fry on all sides until brown.
Drain excess oil into the pan and place them on a napkin-covered plate. Repeat with the remaining Burek.
*Nutrition information is for unfried Burek
- Burek can be made ahead of time. Make sure to place them on a floured tray and sprinkle them with additional flour. They tend to get soggy when stored uncooked in the fridge.
- Make sure they don't touch. They have a tendency to release moisture and stick to each other, making it impossible to separate them.
- To freeze Burek, fry them first. Cool completely and wrap in foil, then store in a sealed Ziploc bag.
- Reheat frozen Burek in a toaster oven, a few at a time, as needed.
- Avoid using a microwave to reheat the Burek. It will make them soft and limp.
Serving: 1Burek | Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 132mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g