Spicy Vegan BBQ Sauce
Delicious, Spicy Vegan BBQ Sauce in under 20 minutes!
Servings: 20 Tablespoons
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon HP sauce (or Worcestershire Sauce- non-vegan )
Add all ingredients into a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
Add HP sauce for a vegan version, or Worcestershire sauce for non-vegan BBQ sauce.
Simmer, covered, over low heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with ribs, burgers, or use to baste BBQ chicken. Store the remaining sauce in the refrigerator for later use.
- This is a pretty forgiving recipe so you can be flexible with the ingredients.
- Honey, brown sugar or maple syrup can be used instead of molasses.
- My Spicy Vegan BBQ Sauce has a bit of a kick. If you prefer a less spicy sauce, skip the cayenne pepper and/or the crushed red pepper flakes. Another option is to use a little of each and slowly add more until it has the right amount of heat.
- Store the barbecue sauce in a squeeze bottle (purchase at the dollar store) for later use.
- If you want to kick this recipe up a notch, you can add a tablespoon or two of your favorite whiskey before you simmer the barbecue sauce.
- Stir this BBQ sauce in baked beans or use it to make some barbecue chicken pizza.
Serving: 1TBS | Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 114mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 12g