Okra Ladies Fingers Stew with Lamb
Okra (known as "ladies fingers") and lamb stew cooked in around 30 minutes in a pressure cooker.
Servings: 4 people
- 1½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1½ pounds lamb (cubed into large chunks)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3½ cups hot water
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 bag frozen baby okra (14 ounces) (or 1 lb. fresh baby okra)
Season meat with salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper, if using.
Add oil to the pressure cooker and choose "saute." Once the oil is hot, add the meat and sear it for a few minutes. Add onion and garlic and saute a few minutes longer.
Dissolve tomato paste into 3½ cups of hot water and stir in lemon juice. Pour into the pressure cooker and stir to incorporate the ingredients.
Next, add the diced tomatoes and okra, stir once more. Lock the cover into place and set the vent to "Seal." Select "Pressure Cook" and set the time to 20 minutes. Prepare the vermicelli rice while the okra stew is being cooked.
When the 20 minutes are up, do a "quick release" to release the pressure. When all the steam is released, remove the cover and stir once more.
Okra Ladies Fingers Stew (Bamia) is served over rice with a plateful of herbs and scallions on the side.
- Before using frozen baby okra, make sure to rinse the okra in a colander under running cold water to remove any frost that may have formed on the okra.
- If you're worried about over-cooking the okra, try adding it after the stew has cooked for 20 minutes. Add the okra and choose the "saute" setting, then cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Pickled baby okra may also be used (and can be purchased in most Middle Eastern markets). If using pickled okra, be sure to follow the steps above so it does not overcook.
- In the Middle East, Bamia is sometimes served over torn chunks of bread instead of rice. A great way to make use of stale bread!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 756mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g