Israeli Sabich Sandwich Recipe
A vegetarian sandwich made with pita bread, eggplant, boiled egg, pickled mango, and tahini sauce.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup Middle Eastern salad (recipe)
- 2 tablespoon Italian parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup Tahini Sauce (recipe)
- 1 large eggplant
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (if eggplant is baked) (more, if frying)
- 4 pita bread or flatbread (recipe)
- 8 slices pickled mango (Amba) (recipe)
Prepare Middle Eastern Salad (Zalata) and mix in chopped parsley. Next, prepare the Tahini Sauce. Set both aside until needed.
Slice the eggplant into ¼"-½" slices and sprinkle with salt on both sides. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the eggplant to sweat out its bitterness. After 15 minutes, pat dry.
Meanwhile, add eggs to a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat. Cover saucepan for 12 minutes. Rinse the eggs with cold water, then peel and slice them.
Sprinkle the sliced eggplant with black pepper and fry in olive oil on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
For a healthier option, brush the eggplant slices with oil and season with black pepper. Arrange on a parchment-lined tray and bake in a 450-degree F oven for 30 minutes. Flip halfway through.
Assemble the Sandwich
Gather all your ingredients and layer your sandwich. Warm pita bread over a flame or in a pan. Add ¼ of the fried eggplant in the center of each pita. Layer with sliced boiled eggs, pickled mangos, and salad. Finally, drizzle with Tahini Sauce.
- The nutrition information is for one sandwich with roasted eggplant, without Falafel.
- Sometimes the eggplant in a Sabich Sandwich is battered before being fried. To do that, dip eggplant in flour then in beaten eggs, and finally in seasoned breadcrumbs before frying.
- Another popular ingredient that can be added to a Sabich sandwich is Hummus. Spread hummus on the pita bread before layering the other ingredients.
- Falafel can also be added to Sabich Sandwiches. Fry or air fry the Falafel last before building your Sabich Sandwich so that the falafel are crunchy.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 185mg | Sodium: 728mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g