Quick Pickled Red Cabbage
Quick Pickled Red Cabbage that's easy to prepare and can be used to dress up various dishes.
Servings: 1 quart mason jar
- ⅓ small red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 hot serrano or jalapeno pepper sliced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1¼ cups vinegar
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon corned beef spices (recipe)
Tip: Before you start preparing the pickling solution, make sure the vegetables are prepared by slicing the cabbage and jalapeño, and peeling the garlic.
Pour vinegar and water into a medium-sized pot. Add salt, sugar, and corned beef spices (or pickling spices). Mix to combine. Boil mixture, then turn off the heat.
Layer cabbage, garlic, and sliced pepper into a sterile 1-quart jar. Pour the pickling solution over the jar ingredients. Make sure that the cabbage is fully submerged by the liquid.
Hand tighten the jar lid and either place it in the refrigerator, or process it in boiling water for 10 minutes if you plan on storing it in the pantry. The pickled cabbage will be ready to eat after a few hours, but I suggest waiting until the following day.
- You can also pickle regular cabbage, and still achieve the beautiful purple color by adding a few slices of beets. The beets will release their beautiful color and turn the cabbage red similar to making Pickled Turnips.
- If you are watching your carbs, replace the sugar with a packet of Truvia or you favorite sweetener.
- This recipe should be enough to fill four 8-ounce jars. This would be a great way to keep a few for yourself and share the rest with friends.
- Leftover coleslaw mix (not mixed with dressing) can also be pickled!
Calories: 11kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 448mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g