Easy Peach Preserves And Jam Without Pectin
Delicious Peach Preserves that does not require pectin to thicken.
Servings: 64 tablespoons
- 5 cups chopped peaches (24 ounces)
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 lemon (juiced and zested)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
Add peaches to a Dutch oven and cover with sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Turn on the stove to the lowest setting, to allow the sugar to slowly melt. Set the timer to 15 minutes.
Once the sugar has liquified, bring the preserves to a boil, then cook on medium, stirring often, for twenty-five minutes or until thickened.
Pour hot preserves into sterilized jars, leaving a ¼" to ½" headspace. Wipe the jars if needed with a damp washcloth or paper towel and hand-tighten the lids.
If you don't plan on storing the prepared preserves in the refrigerator, the jars will need to be processed in boiling water for 10 minutes first.
- I prefer my jam to taste a little tart. If you don't, start out with ½ the amount of lemon juice and adjust from there based on your taste.
- Make sure the lids aren't too tight when you process the jars in boiling water. This allows the air bubbles to escape from the jars and helps to seal the jars. The lids can be tightened after you hear the pop sound they make when the jar is sealed all the way. This usually happens after the jars are removed from the boiling water.
- Label the jars with the date the jam was made. This is especially helpful when you make more batches and want to use up the older batch first.
- When using an immersion blender, be careful of the hot splatter. This can be avoided by keeping the blade deep in the pot while blending and not continuing to press the blend button while you are removing the blender from the pot of jam.
Serving: 2tablespoon | Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 18g