Kotletai (Assyrian Hamburgers)
Servings: 9 servings
- 1 small yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1¼ lbs ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 tablespoon A1-Steak Sauce (HP sauce, or Heinz 57)
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon sumac powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
Add chopped onion and cubed potato to a food processor. Pulse until finely ground.
Strain the excess liquid from the ground potatoes and onions; discard the liquid.
Add onion, potato, ground beef, A1-Steak sauce, Ketchup, salt, and black pepper. Knead the mixture until the ingredients are combined, or use a food processor.Note: If you'd like, add the optional spices suggested in the recipe card; Sumac powder, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon.
Form the meat mixture into approximately 18 oval-shaped patties (approximately 1.5 ounces each).
Fry the Kotletai in a cast-iron skillet for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Fat will render from the patties, so you don't need to add additional oil.
Drain the patties on folded napkins to remove excess fat and serve while hot.
- Instead of a potato, add approximately ⅓ cup of unseasoned breadcrumbs.
- Koteltai prepared with bread crumbs tend to have a crispier outer texture and brown faster than ones prepared with potatoes.
- Sometimes, eggs are added to bind the mixture. If you'd like to do this, just add one egg before you form the Kotlety.
- Instead of mixing the ingredients by hand, another option is to first grind the onions and potatoes in the food processor, then add the remaining ingredients and pulse until all the ingredients are mixed.
- If you decide to use ground turkey or chicken, or leaner ground beef, you may need to use oil to fry the Kotletai.
- Garlic powder or pressed garlic are also great additions to this recipe.
- If you'd like to add herbs, try chopped Italian parsley, basil, rosemary, or oregano. Or, use an herbal mix of your choice.
Serving: 2Kotletai | Calories: 67kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 176mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g