Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (Gluten-Free)
This soups is so creamy, rich, and delicious, you'll never know it's vegan and gluten free!
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil (divided)
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup white wine (or cooking sherry)
- 3½ cups vegetable broth (2 cans)
- 5 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tbs fresh thyme)
- 1 cup cashew milk (unflavored)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon tabasco
Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to a Dutch oven and caramelize the chopped onions over low to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add all but 1 cup of sliced mushrooms to the pot and sauté for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. During the last minute, add minced garlic cloves.
Deglaze the pot with white wine or cooking sherry. In a large measuring cup, whisk cornstarch into cold vegetable broth until smooth. Add salt, white pepper, and thyme; whisk to combine.
Pour broth mixture into the pot and stir. Simmer over low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the thyme softens and the soup thickens. During this time, saute one cup of sliced mushrooms in a separate pan with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
Pour cashew milk into the mushroom soup. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth, or slightly chunky. Season the soup with Worcestershire sauce and tabasco. Stir the sauteed mushrooms into the soup, or add some to each bowl as a garnish.
- Experiment with a variety of mushrooms including oysters, chestnuts, chanterelles, portabellas, Cremini mushrooms, or wild foraged mushrooms.
- To clean the mushrooms, plunge them into a bowl of cold water and gently toss them around in the water until they are clean. It's so much easier than wiping them with a wet paper towel
- For a more filling meal, serve the soup over baked potatoes. Add shredded cheese for those not following a vegan diet.
- Soups that contain dairy do not freeze well and end up with a grainy texture once reheated. However, since this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup has cashew milk, you can freeze the leftovers. You may want to make a double batch; one to eat and one to freeze for later.
- If you have any leftover soup, it can be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to one week.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1737mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g