Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie with Crumb Topping
Perfectly tart and not too sweet Rhubarb Strawberry Pie with crumb topping.
Servings: 12 Slices
- 1 Pillsbury pie crust
- 1 egg (optional)
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ orange zested, plus 1 tablespoon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup tapioca
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
Form pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges. Whisk egg and brush over the pastry to form a barrier between the crust and the pie juices.
Chop rhubarb into ½-inch pieces and slice strawberries in half or quarters (depending on their size). Place the chopped fruit into a large bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, orange zest (and juice), salt, and tapioca. Stir to combine and set aside for 15 minutes while you work on the crumb topping.
Prepare Crumb Topping
Pour flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Add cold, cubed butter and cut into the flour and sugar using a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Avoid adding the rhubarb leaves to the rhubarb pie since they are considered toxic, especially when eaten in large amounts.
- If you are short on rhubarb or strawberries, use chopped apples to make up the difference.
- When adding the pie dough to the pie plate, roll the dough onto a rolling pin and unroll it into the pie dish. Another option is to fold it into 4ths and fit into one-quarter of the pie dish before unfolding it the rest of the way.
- If you prefer a double-crust pie, omit the crumb topping and use an additional pie crust, either as-is or arrange it in a lattice pattern (see my huckleberry pie for more information).
- When baking a pie, it's always a good idea to place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch all the juices. It's even better to line the cookie sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 170mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 33g