Namoura (Semolina Cake)
Semolina cake is known as "nammoura," and "basbousa" drenched in a sweet syrup.
Servings: 16 pieces
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup melted butter (or vegetable/coconut oil)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 16 whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rose water
Before you start on the batter, blanch 16 whole almonds. To do this, pour boiling water over the almonds. Allow the almonds to soak for a few minutes. Drain the almonds when their skin can be easily removed. Remove the skins from all the almonds; set aside until needed.
Mix semolina with baking powder and baking soda. Mix yogurt, butter, sugar, vanilla, and coconut. Add the yogurt mixture to the semolina. Mix until combined.
Spray an 8”x8” glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the batter in the pan; score into 16 squares. Add one almond in the center of each square. Bake for 45 minutes.
Once the cake is in the oven, mix syrup ingredients and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 15 minutes, or until thickened. The syrup will thicken further as it cools.
Remove the cake from the oven once browned; cut it into 16 squares. Drizzle the cake with the syrup. The syrup will soak in as the cake cools off. Serve with a hot cup of chai!
- If you are fasting from dairy, you can substitute the yogurt in the recipe with ¾ cup of orange juice.
- Some recipes contain eggs, while others choose to omit them.
- Orange blossom water may be used in the syrup, but more commonly, rose water is used.
- Most recipes call for the coconut to be stirred into the batter. Still, others sprinkle the coconut on top.
- The shape can vary as well. Occasionally you'll see this cake baked in a round pan and cut into wedges. However, traditionally, it's cut into squares.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 116mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g