Not Your Mother's Hareesa
Yummy porridge-like dish, made with chicken and barley.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- 3 lbs chicken
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups broth
- coriander seeds toasted and ground
- clarified butter
Wash pearl barley and soak in warm water for at least one hour, then drain and add to your Instant pot or pressure cooker.
Top with chicken, salt, butter, and 5 cups of chicken broth.
Lock the lid and seal the vent. Select "high pressure" and adjust the time to 45 minutes.
Do a natural release for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the lid and take out the chicken bones and skin.
Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the chicken is shredded and mixed throughout the hareesa. The longer you mix it the better the consistency will be.
Serve topped with toasted and ground cumin seeds and a few tablespoons of clarified butter.
Nutrition information is for the crockpot version without butter.
- If you prefer a creamier texture, an immersion blender may be used once the hareesa is done cooking.
- The customary way to serve this dish is with freshly toasted and ground coriander seeds and melted butter.
- If the hareesa gets too dry, you can always mix in more chicken broth.
- Hareesa freezes well. Freeze one serving portions in quart-sized ziplock bags, then defrost as needed.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1197mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 1250IU