Taboula (Tabouli) Salad
A very healthy and tasty Lebanese salad made with bulgur, plenty of yummy veggies, and a delicious, tangy dressing.
Servings: 5 cups
- 1 cups fine bulgur (#1)
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 4 scallions (diced)
- 1 medium cucumber (diced)
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 cup Italian parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh mint (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (minced/optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
Add bulgur to a medium-sized bowl. Pour warm water over the bulgur and soak for 20 minutes
Most of the water will get absorbed, but squeeze handfuls of bulgur over a strainer, to remove any additional moisture. Place the bulgur in the fridge until completely cooled.
Meanwhile, chop/mince the vegetables and herbs, and add to a medium-sized bowl.
Once the bulgur has cooled off, mix in with the vegetables and herbs.
Whisk the dressing ingredients, and pour over the salad.
Gently mix the salad ingredients, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Sometimes the salad needs a little extra lemon juice or salt right before serving.
- If you prefer the taste of traditional Tabouli, just leave out the Romaine lettuce and jalapeno. Instead, add a whole bunch of Italian parsley.
- Tabouli is best when eaten the same day, but if you have leftovers, a squirt of fresh lemon can do wonders.
- Bulgur comes in four grinds. Grind #1 is the finest, while #4 is the largest grind and is used to make (Bulgur Pilaf). The finest grind is used to make Tabouli.
- If you don't have fresh mint, dried mint can be substituted.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 592mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g