Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts
Delicious, Low Carb, Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, the perfect side dish!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. Brussel sprouts
- 1 tsp. salt (to soak Brussel sprouts)
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 T butter
- 3 cloves garlic (slivered)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz asiago cheese (shredded)
Wash Brussel sprouts, and remove the rough end of the stem.
Slice Brussel sprouts in half, and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt, and enough water to cover them completely. Soak Brussel sprouts for 30 minutes.
Fry bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from pan, and drain all but 1½ teaspoon of bacon grease from the pan.
Fry the pine nuts in the remaining 1½ teaspoons bacon grease until slightly browned, then remove from the pan.
Melt butter in the same pan. Drain and add the Brussel sprouts. Crumble half of the bacon and add half to the pan along with the garlic, salt, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine, then cook over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
Stir the remaining bacon with the pine nuts, and shredded cheese. Mix into the Brussel sprouts just before serving.
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze, if desired.
- Be sure to wash, then trim the Brussel sprouts prior to cooking. To trim, slice the brownish end of the stalk off and remove any outer yellow leaves. Keep the Brussel sprouts whole, or slice in half or quarters.
- Before cooking Brussel sprouts, soak in salted water for approximately 30 minutes to extract the bitter flavor.
- Brussel sprouts can be eaten raw and are fantastic when shaved into slaw, or salads.
- To roast Brussel sprouts in the oven, set the oven temperature to 400 Degrees F. Drizzle the Brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast on a baking sheet for 35 minutes.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1116mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1067IU | Vitamin C: 97mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 2mg