Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
Delicate Zucchini Flowers (blossoms) filled with creamy cheese, lightly battered, then fried.
Servings: 14 flowers
- 14 zucchini flowers (approximate number)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 clove garlic (pressed)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives (optional)
- ⅓ cup peanut oil (for frying)
Remove the Stigma or Stamen from the blossoms, then gently wash and pat them dry.
Whisk batter ingredients into a bowl until combined. The batter should have a pancake-like consistency. Allow to rest while you work on the filling.
Mix filling ingredients until smooth. Carefully divide the filling between the flowers, being careful not to over-fill them. Twist the flower petals to keep the filling from seeping out.
Heat oil into a shallow pan. Hold flowers by the stem and quickly dip into the batter, allowing the excess to drain back into the batter bowl. Fry blossoms until golden on both sides. This should take approximately 2 minutes of frying time per side.
Drain the fried stuffed zucchini flowers on paper towels and serve while warm!
Calories are for unfried stuffed zucchini flowers. This is because it's hard to predict how much oil will be absorbed once the flowers are fried. Other factors come into play, for example, oil temperature.
- Some people leave the Stigma or Stamen intact while others choose to remove them. It's really a matter of preference, but they are easier to stuff if they are removed.
- There is nothing that says you can't pick female flowers, especially if the zucchini is already growing behind the flower. When I am short of flowers, I've been known to pick both.
- If you don't have enough zucchini blossoms to stuff, go out to your garden every morning and pick the ones that are open. Store them in the refrigerator in a plastic bag until you have enough to make this recipe.
- If serving as an appetizer, sprinkle the fried zucchini flowers with shaved parmessean cheese and chopped chives before serving.
- Rehead leftovers in a toaster oven or an air fryer until heated through.
Serving: 1flower | Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 69mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g