Shaggy Mane Mushroom Waffles
Savory Waffles with mushrooms, ham, shallots, and cheddar. A fancy way to do breakfast!
Servings: 6 waffles
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted, divided)
- 6 medium Shaggy Mane mushrooms (or more, sliced)
- 2 medium shallots (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces ham (diced)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Wipe mushrooms with a damp paper towel to clean. Slice the mushrooms and add to a skillet with 1 tablespoon butter along with the diced shallots. Sauté a few minutes longer. Finally, add ham and garlic. Sauté until the mushrooms are golden and the onion is caramelized. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, sift flour, sugar, Tony Chachere's, baking powder, and baking soda. In a smaller bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, and the remaining melted butter, then gently mix into the dry ingredients. Fold in shredded cheese, and cooled mushroom mixture.
Heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray. When the waffle iron is ready, add approximately ⅓ cup of batter for each 4"x4" waffle and seal. Cook for 2 to 2-½ minutes or until done.
How to Serve
Shaggy Mane Waffles can be enjoyed as a quick on-the-go breakfast. For an extra special breakfast, serve topped with an egg, melted cheese, chives, and hot sauce.
- To keep the waffles from getting soggy while you're making the rest, stand them up on a rack. This allows the steam to dissipate instead of collecting under the waffle.
- If you have access to more shaggy mane mushrooms you can add more inside the batter and sauté the rest to serve over the waffles.
- The batter can be made ahead of time but has a tendency to thicken over time. This problem can be solved by adding a small amount of milk to the batter.
- Leftover waffles can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen.
- To reheat cooked waffles, simply pop them in a toaster. Another option is to bake them in a 350 F degree oven until crisp.
Serving: 1waffle | Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 1186mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g