Spicy Bison Chili Recipe
Healthy, spicy, bison chili.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 medium anaheim chilis diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 14 ounce canned chicken broth
- 1 can chipotle peppers (as needed)
- 2 15 ounce canned black beans
Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven. Add ground meat, diced onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook until meat is browned, then and add salt and spices.
Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Add sauce from the chipotle peppers can, one tablespoon at a time until you achieve the right spiciness. I almost used the whole can.
Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, then add black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes over low heat. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips.
- Although this is a "Bison Chili" recipe, you can easily use any other game meat, beef, or even turkey.
- The other ingredients are flexible too! You can use any onions that you have on hand, (white, green onion, or shallots). The idea is to use up the ingredients that you have at home, not go shopping for more!
- I used Anaheim chilis in this recipe because I have them growing in my garden. Feel free to use green peppers, poblanos, or whatever peppers you have.
- Finally, you can replace the black beans with great northern beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 891mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 9g