Barbecued Sumac Chicken
The best chicken marinade you'll ever try!
Servings: 4 people
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sumac
- 4 cloves crushed
- 1 serrano pepper minced (or 1 tsp. crushed pepper flakes)
- 8 chicken thighs
Mix all the ingredients, except the chicken, and pour into a large plastic ziplock bag.
Defrost the chicken, if frozen, and rinse thoroughly.
Add the chicken to the marinade bag, making sure all the pieces are immersed in the marinade. Marinate for at least four hours, or overnight.
Barbecue chicken until cooked through, turning the chicken pieces a few times to make sure they cook evenly. The skin should be nice and crispy, but not burned.
- Sumac should be stored in the freezer to last longer. The flavor can deteriorate over time if not frozen.
- Add sumac to any recipe that needs a lemony flavor, but be aware that sumac doesn't dissolve completely and will be visible in the dish.
- For best results, marinate the chicken for a minimum of four hours, or overnight.
- This marinade gives the chicken skin a delicious, crispy flavor and texture. Just this once, don't toss the skin, eat it!
Serving: 2pieces | Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 190mg | Sodium: 1144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0g