"Mesta Tooymenta," which means "Garlicky Yogurt," is a delicious and simple Assyrian Yogurt Soup that takes around 10 minutes to prepare. What's more, this Yogurt Soup recipe is healthy and low-carb! When I'm not counting carbs, I enjoy having this soup with Lavash Bread on the side.
If you look up "Yogurt Soup" the following things come up:
- Turkish cold yogurt soup recipe
- Armenian Yogurt Soup
- Yogurt Soup Indian
- Yogurt Soup Persian
I'm here to tell you that Assyrians make a mean Yogurt Soup, loaded with scrambled eggs, fresh garlic, and plenty of mint! I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't the ones who invented this tasty yogurt soup recipe. Although, I'm sure everyone on the list above would argue the same!
But no matter who prepared the first bowl of this tasty Yogurt Soup (probably an Assyrian 😉), I think you will find it delicious and will want to prepare it on a regular basis!
Why This Recipe Works
What I love about this soup is its simplicity! I almost always have eggs and yogurt in the fridge, so it's easy to throw this soup together without any fancy ingredients. Did I mention it only takes 10 minutes to prepare?
Yogurt Soup has a smooth and creamy texture, yet the scrambled eggs in the soup make it also filling and hearty.
Enjoy it as is, or tear lavash or pita bread into pieces and mix it into the soup. It's SO GOOD!
What You Need For This Recipe
Recipe Ingredient Notes
- Yogurt — If possible, use homemade yogurt, Greek, or Middle Eastern yogurt.
- Garlic — Only fresh garlic should be used in this recipe. I like to add fresh garlic to the soup, which gives it a strong garlicky flavor. If you prefer, you can cook the garlic with the eggs to tone down the flavor.
- Mint — I prefer dried mint in this dish because it seems to add a more intense mint flavor. If you have to, you can use fresh mint instead.
How to Make Yogurt Soup
Step 1 | Scramble Eggs
Melt butter in a
Step 2 | Dilute Yogurt
Add yogurt and water to a small saucepan. Whisk together over low heat until smooth. Add salt and mint flakes and whisk to combine.
Step 3 | Make Soup
Run garlic through a garlic press and add to the yogurt along with the scrambled eggs. Continue to whisk over low heat until hot, but do not boil.
If you are not watching carbs, tear some bite-sized pieces of Pita Bread or Lavash Bread and add them to a bowl, then pour the soup over the bread.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Assyrian Yogurt Soup (Mesta Tooymenta)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk eggs and scramble in the butter until almost set then remove from the heat.
- Add yogurt and water to a small saucepan. Whisk together over low heat until smooth. Add salt and mint flakes and whisk to combine.
- Run garlic through a garlic press and add to the yogurt along with the scrambled eggs. Continue to whisk over low heat until hot, but do not boil.
- If you are not watching carbs, tear some bite-sized pieces of Pita Bread or Lavash Bread and add them to a bowl, then pour the soup over the bread. Enjoy!