If you're looking for a relatively simple and healthy coleslaw recipe, you've come to the right place! Besides being very easy to prepare, this oil and vinegar coleslaw is actually good for you!
About This Recipe
Say goodbye to gobs of mayo, and loads of sugar that most coleslaw recipes are loaded with. Instead, we are using vinegar, lemon juice, a small amount of oil, and a touch of honey for sweetness.
"Coleslaw" is a Dutch term meaning "cabbage salad" According to The Joy of Cooking, raw cabbage is the only consistent ingredient in coleslaw; and here I am replacing the green cabbage with Brussel sprouts!
However, in my defense, Brussel sprouts are in the cabbage family, so I'm not that out of line. Although most American coleslaw is mayonnaise-based, it's not the case in the rest of the world.
Coleslaw is served in other countries as well, but usually with a vinegar-based dressing, similar to this recipe.You can easily include this recipe into your next St. Patrick's Day menu.
How to Make This Recipe
Add prepared vegetables and herbs in a medium-sized bowl.
Whisk dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined, and pour over the coleslaw mix.
Toss coleslaw to coat with dressing. Chill before serving.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
Perhaps you can mound the coleslaw on your favorite burger recipe? You can also serve this slaw on the side with Grilled Chicken, or Smoked Beef Brisket.
Dare I suggest that you can even have this coleslaw as your main meal; Perhaps topped with some protein? Or add it in your burrito, or over some rice. Get crazy with it, I know I do!
- You can certainly shred some carrots in your slaw if you prefer. Other popular ingredient options include pineapple, pickles, raisins, and even bacon...what doesn't taste better with bacon, right?
- For a lw carb friendly version, you can omit the honey, and add some Truvia instead. One to two packets should do it!
Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- 1 cup red cabbage (shredded)
- 2 large Brussel sprouts (shredded)
- 3 scallions (diced)
- 3 radishes (cut in half & sliced)
- 2 T. cilantro (chopped)
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced (optional)
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. mustard powder
- Add prepared vegetables and herbs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined, and pour over the coleslaw mix.
- Toss coleslaw to coat with dressing. Chill before serving.