Last Updated on
Today I’m letting you in on my latest obsession. You probably already guessed it by the title, I’m referring to a Mexican Rice Bowl! I guess it can also be described as a deconstructed burrito. All the yummy ingredients found in a burrito, but without the tortilla.
Sure, we start with some Mexican rice, but that’s only the beginning. Where we go from there depends on your preferences. Think Chipotle, but in my opinion, better!
I got the inspiration for this recipe from a recent trip to L.A. with my daughter, Nena. One of the things we did was have lunch at the very end of the Santa Monica pier at a great little Mexican restaurant called Marisol.
I ordered the Mexican Bowl, which by the way was AMAZING! I’m a little picky when it comes to eating at restaurants, so I don’t usually throw words like “amazing” around too hastily. If you’re ever in the area, do yourself a favor and stop in for a bowl.
Vegetarian Mexican Rice Bowl
A Mexican rice bowl is perfect for any vegetarian craving a quick and tasty meal. The first step is making the rice. Start with my Mexican/Spanish rice recipe, substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
If you like, use brown rice instead. Once you have the rice, decide what you want as toppings. Here are some topping ideas:
- Avocado— Either slice an avocado in sections, cubes or use it to make guacamole.
- Pico De Gallo— Pico De Gallo is a quick Mexican salsa made with simple ingredients like diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers. Add a squeeze of lime juice, a dash of salt, and you’re done. Here is a great recipe if you need one.
- Sauteed Vegetables— Slice some yellow onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and slivered garlic. Feel free to leave out any ingredient you don’t like, or substitute with other vegetables. Squeeze some lemon over the vegetables and season with a pinch of salt and fajita seasoning. Or make your own seasoning using salt, pepper, and chili powder. Heat a tablespoon or less of vegetable oil and sauté for a few minutes.
- Black beans— Drain a can of black beans, garbanzo beans, or your favorite beans. Heat up in a microwave. Or if you prefer, heat over the stovetop in the liquid, then drain.
- Corn— Feel free to use canned corn, heated frozen corn, or if you’re feeling ambitious, use grilled corn, which is by far the best option.
- Cheese— Crumbled Queso Fresco, crumbled feta cheese, or shredded Mexican cheese are all great options.
- Sour Cream— Add a dollop of sour cream, or leave it out for a healthier alternative.
- Spice— Sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos.
Burrito Bowl Assembly
Once all your ingredients are ready, begin by adding the rice to a bowl. Next, divide the bowl, visually, by how many toppings you have and arrange the toppings over the rice. If you’re not concerned about presentation, just mix everything together and enjoy!
Beef, Chicken, or Shrimp Bowl
If you are not a vegetarian, you get to enjoy your Mexican Bowl with some meat options. Although I recommend my Carne Asada recipe, you might not want to wait for the marinating process.
If you’re in a hurry, just season the meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Slice the meat in either
If you prefer, you can substitute grilled chicken. Other protein options include shrimp and pork. You can also do a combination of any of them. The choice is all yours! Your
Once you have the rice and meat cooked, you can top the rice with the other toppings listed above under the heading: “Vegetarian Mexican Rice Bowl.”
STAY IN TOUCH WITH ME THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA!
- Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #hildaskitchenblog on Instagram.
- Like my page on Facebook.
- Do you Pinterest? Pin & share this recipe!
Mexican Rice Bowl
- 3 cups cooked Mexican rice (or brown rice)
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- ½ cup roasted corn
- ½ avocado (cubed)
- 12 oz flank steak or chicken breast (or 2 cups grilled vegetables)
- ½ tsp. fajita seasoning (or salt and pepper)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 2 T. sour cream
- ¼ cup queso fresco (crumbled)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (sliced, optional)
- Cook Mexican rice according to instructions and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- Prepare pico de gallo, roast corn, slice avocado,
- Slice or chop meat and season with fajita seasoning, or seasoning of choice.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet until the pan is very hot.
- Sear meat in the hot pan for a few minutes until cooked. If making a vegetarian version, saute the sliced vegetables until charred.
- Heat black beans either over the stove top in the liquid from the can, or drain and microwave for a minute or so.
- Divide rice between two bowls.
- Add half of the meat (or grilled vegetables) to each bowl.
- Divide the remaining ingredients between both bowls and serve.