Have you ever considered making homemade enchilada sauce? Homemade enchilada sauce is so much better than anything you can get out of a can. Not to mention, it's healthier and preservative-free. Use it to make Pulled Pork Enchiladas, chicken enchiladas, and more.
How to Make This Recipe
This Homemade Enchilada Sauce has so many uses. And the best part is that you'll never have to run out to the store to grab enchilada sauce again!
I had never considered making my own enchilada sauce until one day when I was in the middle of cooking and realized I was out of enchilada sauce.
Yes, I came to my own rescue that day and made my own sauce. I haven't bought enchilada sauce since.
How to make This Recipe
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add flour, and stir to combine. Cook for one minute.
2. Add the chili powder and chipotle pepper powder, and cook for one more minute, while you stir.
3. Stir in garlic, onion powder, cumin, salt, and oregano.
4. Mix in tomato sauce, to form a paste. cook for an additional minute.
5. Stir in the chicken broth, mix to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes on low.
Uses for this sauce
Not sure what to do with the enchilada sauce once you make it? No worries, that's what I'm here for. This sauce is perfect to use in my Mexican Lasagna recipe.
Lastly, consider stirring some enchilada sauce into your chili. If you need even more ideas, just let me know!
Love a recipe you've tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. flour
- 1 T. chili pepper powder
- 1 T. chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Mexican oregano
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in a small saucepan.
- Add flour, and stir to combine. Cook for one minute.
- Add the chili powder and chipotle pepper powder, and cook for one more minute, while you stir.
- Stir in garlic, onion powder, cumin, salt, and oregano.
- Mix in tomato sauce, to form a paste. cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, mix to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes on low.