What is the California Burrito?
Have you ever had a California Burrito? This humongous burrito is filled with cubed Carne Asada, hot french fries, creamy guacamole, and more!
Although it’s known as the California Burrito, the only place you can get your hands on one is in San Diego. My neighborhood is littered with taco shops, but Estrada’s is my favorite! They make a mean California Burrito!
Although Montana has a lot to offer, Mexican food is not one of them. With this in mind, I decided to deconstruct the California Burrito. My goal was not only to figure out how to make one but to perfect the recipe.
Guess what? I believe I’ve done it! If your upcoming travel plans don’t include San Diego, it’s ok. Just follow my easy California Burrito recipe. It’s sure to be a family favorite!
Who Invented the California burrito?
In my Easy Breakfast Burrito post, I discuss the origin of the burrito. But when it comes to t
It is believed that the first California Burrito Recipe was created in 1980. It was developed in an unknown Mexican Taco Shop in San Diego. However, a chain, formerly known as Santana’s, claims to be the creator of the first California Burrito Recipe.
Like the Carne Asada Burrito, the California Burrito is an experience that should not be missed by any San Diego tourist. After all, New York has it’s Thin-Crust Pizza, Chicago it’s Deep-Dish, and Philadelphia the Philly-Cheesesteak. However, San Diego is known for Mexican food, but more specifically, The California Burrito!
What Is In The California Burrito?
The California Burrito stands out from other burritos, and easily distinguished by one particular ingredient, potatoes. Or more specifically, french fries.
To make a California Burrito, you have to begin with the largest tortilla you can find. Next, you will need some creamy guacamole. Marinated Carne Asada, salsa, sour cream, and shredded Mexican cheese are also essential. Pico de gallo, diced onion, and cilantro finish off this monster of a meal!
Making a California Burrito is like taking Carne Asada Fries (another San Diego classic) and wrapping them in a blanket of love. If you can polish off one of these huge burritos, it will leave you stuffed, yet satisfied! Personally, I cut the burrito in half and make two meals out of it… yes, it’s that big!
How to Make A Cali Burrito
This California Burrito recipe is pretty simple, but it does require some planning. This includes marinating the Carne Asada and frying the french fries. Not only that, but you also need salsa (or pico de gallo), and Creamy Guacamole. All these ingredients should be prepared prior to assembeling the burrito.
Make creamy guacamole, using the recipe on my blog.
Set aside until needed.
Begin by marinating the Carne Asada for three to four hours. Use the recipe on my blog.
Dice marinated meat, cook in a heated pan, over high heat, until cooked and slightly charred on the outside.
If in a hurry, use diced sirloin, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder instead of Carne Asada.
Cook fries in the oven, according to directions.
Alternatively, deep-fry the fries, if you’re not worried about the extra calories, and want to keep the recipe as authentic as possible.
To start, you need an extra-large tortilla, something comparable to the one pictured below. The a
Soften the tortilla over a flame until slightly charred.
Smear tortilla with creamy guacamole and sour cream.
Add cooked, diced Carne Asada, and a handful of hot, just-fried french fries.
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese, salsa, or pico de gallo.
- Finish off with cilantro and diced onions.
Microwave for one minute and roll tightly into a burrito (or roll first, then microwave).
STAY IN TOUCH WITH ME THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA!
- Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #hildaskitchenblog on Instagram.
- Like my page on Facebook.
- Do you Pinterest? Pin & share this recipe!
- 4 oz. Carne Asada (diced)
- 20 regular-sized french fries (less if using thicker fries)
- 2 T. creamy guacamole
- 2 T. sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 T. cilantro (diced)
- 1 T. onion (diced)
- 1 large flour tortilla (Approx. 12")
- Begin by marinating the Carne Asada for a minimum of three hours.
- Make Creamy Guacamole, using the recipe on my blog.
- Fry or bake the fries in the oven.
- Cook diced Carne Asada in a hot cast iron until slightly charred and cooked through.
- Slightly char an extra large tortilla over a flame, to soften.
- Smear tortilla down the center with creamy guacamole and sour cream.
- Add cooked Carne Asada, and hot fries in the middle of the burrito.
- Add shredded Mexican cheese, salsa (or pico de gallo), diced onion and cilantro.
- Roll tightly into a burrito and microwave for a minute (to melt the cheese).