Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, with garlic, bacon, and pine nuts. You can prepare this fancy Brussel sprouts dish in one pan in under 30 minutes!
Yesterday I baked ham for dinner. Normally I would serve it with mashed potatoes and Honey Mustard Sauce. But now that Scott has decided to join me in eating low-carb, I needed to come up with another side dish. Something that wouldn’t get us off our diet.
I was feeling a little creative and decided to come up with a new recipe. I pulled out the Brussel sprouts from my fridge, fully knowing that Scott did not like them. However, I decided to push my luck and see if I could come up with a way to disguise the Brussel sprouts.
In order to disguise the Brussel sprouts, I decided to include ingredients that I knew Scott couldn’t resist; cheese and bacon! The result was this delicious Cheesy Brussel Sprouts recipe.
Are Brussel Sprouts Good For You?
According to healthline.com (10 Ways Brussels Sprouts Benefit Your Health), Brussel sprouts are loaded with nutrition and can help with weight-loss. Brussel Sprouts are low in calories (56 calories a cup) and contain high amounts of the following Vitamins: K, C, and A. Brussel Sprouts also have the following benefits:
- Rich in Antioxidants
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Reduce inflammation
- High in fiber, making you feel fuller and aiding indigestion
- May provide some protection against cancer
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts R
Although you can find many recipes for roasted Brussel sprouts, I decided to prepare this recipe in a pan. It just seemed easier. But before sauteeing the Brussel sprouts, they need to be prepped and soaked in cold water.
Prepping the Brussel sprouts involves first removing any damaged or discolored outer leaves and trimming the bottom of the stems. The next step is to slice the Brussel sprouts in half and soak them in salted cold water for 30 minutes. This step is important as it helps
Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts are the perfect side dish! They go perfectly with my Smoked Brisket recipe. Don’t have a smoker? No problem! They would also go perfectly with the following entrees: Slow Cooked Roast, Barbecued Sumac Chicken, or Grilled Jerk Chicken. For another cheesy low carb side dish, check out my low carb Jalapeno Poppers recipe.
Do you Pinterest? Please pin and share!
Delicious, Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, the perfect side dish!
- 1 lb. Brussel sprouts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 T butter
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz asiago cheese shredded
Wash Brussel sprouts, and remove the rough bottom portion. Slice each Brussel sprout in half, and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt, and enough water to cover them completely. Soak for 30 minutes to remove some of the bitter taste.
- Slice bacon strips into 1″ pieces, and fry until crispy. Remove the bacon from pan, and drain all but 1 T. of bacon grease from the pan.
- Fry the pine nuts in the bacon grease until slightly browned, then remove from the pan.
- Melt butter in the same pan, then drain and add the Brussel sprouts. Crumble half of the bacon and add to the pan, along with the garlic, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine, then cook over medium heat for approximately seven minutes. You want the Brussel sprouts to be cooked, but still slightly firm.
- Mix the remaining bacon with the pine nuts, and shredded cheese. Add to the brussel sprouts just before serving.