Mashed Potatoes, who doesn't love them? Creamy and filling— the ultimate comfort food. But this Tasty Mashed Potatoes recipe (known as "Merchanos") is not like anything you've tried before! Unless you're Assyrian, of course. Oh, did I mention they are Vegan Mashed Potatoes as well?
About This Recipe
Let's address the most obvious difference between Assyrian Mashed Potatoes and regular mashed potatoes. Assyrian Mashed Potatoes are orange!
They get their beautiful color from a small amount of tomato paste that mixed in, along with caramelized onions.
However, this Tasty Mashed Potatoes recipe is definitely one of my favorites.
Why This Recipe Works
What I love about this recipe is how simple it is to prepare. I also appreciate the fact that it's not loaded with heavy butter or cream.
Instead, a small amount of olive oil is used. This combination of flavors is fantastic and makes Merchanos an excellent Vegan Mashed Potatoes option.
Mom used to make these Tasty Mashed Potatoes a lot, especially when she was fasting or refraining from eating meat, which was every Wednesday and Friday.
Not only did she eat them as is, she even stuffed them inside Pita Bread. You know, because the potatoes on their own didn't provide her with enough carbs, she had to add bread. Sure do miss her!
How to Make This Recipe
1. Boil potatoes until tender, then mash.
2. Caramelize chopped onions in olive oil and stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and tomato paste mixture, along with salt, to the mashed potatoes. Stir until completely blended.
Top with scallions or chopped Italian parsley and enjoy!
Recipe Expert Tips
Although these mashed potatoes are perfect just the way they are, here are some tasty ways to alter this recipe.
- Add a few cloves of garlic to the boiling potatoes and mash with the potatoes.
- Minced garlic can be added to the onions at the same time you add the tomato paste. Sauté for a minute before adding to the potatoes.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of paprika in with the tomato paste.
- Sneak in a few tablespoons of butter when mashing the potatoes (I promise not to tell)!
- Add a little chicken or vegetable broth for an even creamier texture.
Love a recipe you've tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Tasty Mashed Potatoes, Assyrian Style (Merchanos)
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled)
- 2 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1 T. butter (optional)
- 2½ T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1½ T. tomato paste
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- Roughly chop potatoes and place in a medium-sized pot.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes, along with butter, and one teaspoon salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, or approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in oil until caramelized. Stir in tomato paste and mix to combine. Cook one additional minute.
- Drain potatoes and mash until smooth. Add the onion and tomato paste mixture, stirring until completely blended. Serve in a bowl, topped with chopped scallions, if desired.