Yesterday I baked ham for dinner. Normally I would serve it with mashed potatoes and mustard sauce. But now that Scott has decided to join me in eating low-carb, I needed to come up with another side dish. Something that wouldn’t get us off our diet. I was feeling a little creative and decided to come up with a new recipe. I pulled out the Brussel sprouts from my fridge, fully knowing that Scott did not like them. However, I thought I would push my luck and see if I can come up with a way to disguise the Brussel sprouts. This included ingredients I knew he couldn’t resist; cheese and bacon! The result was this delicious Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts recipe.
Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts Recipe
So I cooked up my Brussel sprouts, and called it my “Fancy Schmancy Brussel Sprouts recipe.” I thought it sounded better than “Low Carb Cheesy Brussel sprouts.” Unfortunately, the fancy name did not impress Scott. When I told him what we were having as a side dish, he replied: “I’ll pass.” However, I was able to convince him to try just one little bite (kind of like you have to do with kids sometimes). He not only gobbled up a huge helping, but he also raved about the delicious dinner. Here’s to hoping your picky eater will give this recipe a chance too.
Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts Serving Suggestions
Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts are the perfect side dish! They go perfectly with my Smoked Brisket recipe. Don’t have a smoker? No problem! They would also go perfectly with the following entrees: Slow Cooked Roast, Barbecued Sumac Chicken, or Grilled Jerk Chicken. For another cheesy low carb side dish, check out my low carb Jalapeno Poppers recipe.
Do you Pinterest? Please pin and share!
If you love this Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts recipe, please give it a 5-star rating!
Delicious, Low Carb Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, the perfect side dish!
- 1 lb. Brussel sprouts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 T butter
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz asiago cheese shredded
Wash Brussel sprouts, and remove the rough bottom portion. Slice each Brussel sprout in half, and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt, and enough water to cover them completely. Soak for 30 minutes to remove some of the bitter taste.
- Slice bacon strips into 1" pieces, and fry until crispy. Remove the bacon from pan, and drain all but 1 T. of bacon grease from the pan.
- Fry the pine nuts in the bacon grease until slightly browned, then remove from the pan.
- Melt butter in the same pan, then drain and add the Brussel sprouts. Crumble half of the bacon and add to the pan, along with the garlic, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine, then cook over medium heat for approximately seven minutes. You want the Brussel sprouts to be cooked, but still slightly firm.
- Mix the remaining bacon with the pine nuts, and shredded cheese. Add to the brussel sprouts just before serving.