Mexican pickled carrots are a favorite in our family, so I always make sure our fridge is stocked with a jar or two. This recipe is amazing and will yield pickled carrots that are very flavorful and truly addicting. My favorite pickled carrots have to be spicy, with a little crunch. However, if you’re like my daughter, who prefers the softer texture, just cook the carrots a little longer.
My Pickled Carrots Recipe
Sometimes I share recipes that are quite complicated. Those tend to be my Assyrian recipes. I often wonder how many people actually take the time to tackle those recipes. But then there are times when I share very easy recipes; Recipes that even a beginner can master. This, my friend, is one of those recipes. Can you boil water? Can you slice carrots and onions? If your answer is “yes,” great news! You have what it takes to make Mexican Pickled Carrots!
Simple Steps to Making Mexican Pickled Carrots:
- Peel and slice the carrots.
- Slice onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Add the vegetables to a large pot.
- Add herbs, along with vinegar, water, salt, and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then allow to cool slightly.
- Add vegetables to jars and top with the pickling solution.
- Be patient for 3 days, then dig in!
Tools Required for Pickling
Although you don’t really NEED specific tools to make these pickled carrots, there are a few items that can make your job a bit easier. First, you need a medium-sized pot, most of you should already have one in your kitchen. If you don’t, I recommend this one. Next, think about getting some canning tools. I use mine ALL the time. The funnel comes in very handy in this recipe, and the tools are necessary when canning jam and preserves. Finally, you’ll need a mason jar to pack the carrots into. You should probably get more than one because trust me, you’ll be making these carrots all the time! Be sure to make enough to share with your family and friends, because everyone loves Mexican Pickled Carrots!
Do you Pinterest? Please help a girl out by pinning and sharing!
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating!
Mexican style spicy pickled carrots.
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and cut into sections
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Slice carrots, onions, peppers, and garlic, and add to a medium-sized pot, along with the herbs.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly.
Pour the mixture into one quart sterilized jar and seal.
- The carrots will be ready to eat in three days. Serve with your favorite Mexican meal, or do what I do, and eat them straight out of the jar!
- Do you Pinterest? Please pin & share!