These Spicy Mexican pickled carrots are highly addicting and a family favorite! This recipe is very easy to follow and only requires a few simple ingredients. Pickled Carrots go great with so many Mexican dishes, including Mexican Rice Bowls, Enchiladas, and Chicken Fajitas.
Why This Recipe Works
Mexican pickled carrots are a favorite in our family, so I always make sure our fridge is stocked with a jar or two.
This recipe is amazing and will yield pickled carrots that are very flavorful and truly addicting.
My favorite pickled carrots have to be spicy, with a little crunch. However, if you're like my daughter, who prefers the softer texture, just cook the carrots a little longer.
Sometimes I share recipes that are quite complicated. Those tend to be my Assyrian recipes. I often wonder how many people actually take the time to tackle those recipes.
Then there are times when I share very easy recipes; recipes that even a beginner can master. This, my friend, is one of those recipes.
Can you boil water? Can you slice carrots and onions? If your answer is "yes," great news! You have what it takes to make Mexican Pickled Carrots!
What Goes Into This Recipe
Recipe Ingredient Notes
- Carrots — I prefer to use regular-sized Carrots, however, I have used baby carrots in the past. If you need to use baby carrots, you can.
- Fresh Thyme — Fresh thyme gives these Mexican pickled carrots an amazing taste. If you have to, you can substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves.
- Peppers — The peppers you use is totally up to you and how spicy you want the carrots to be. For example, my husband LOVES spicy pickles so I use habanero peppers when I make him pickled carrots. Serranos and jalapenos are both excellent choices. If you have dried chilis, you can use them as well.
- Vinegar — I've tried this recipe with apple cider vinegar and distilled vinegar. Either will work.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Slice carrots, onions, peppers, and garlic, and add to a medium-sized pot, along with the herbs.
2. Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
3. Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly.
4. Pour the mixture into one quart sterilized jar and seal.
The carrots will be ready to eat in three days. Serve with your favorite Mexican meal, or do what I do, and eat them straight out of the jar!
Tools Required for Pickling
Although you don't really NEED specific tools to make these pickled carrots, there are a few items that can make your job a bit easier.
First, you need a medium-sized pot, most of you should already have one in your kitchen. If you don't, I recommend this one.
Finally, you'll need a mason jar to pack the carrots into. You should probably get more than one because trust me, you'll be making these carrots all the time!
Be sure to make enough to share with your family and friends, because everyone loves Mexican Pickled Carrots!
What to Serve with Pickled Carrots
Love a recipe you've tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Mexican Pickled Carrots
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and cut into sections
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-¼ cups cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Slice carrots, onions, peppers, and garlic, and add to a medium-sized pot, along with the herbs.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into one quart sterilized jar and seal.
- The carrots will be ready to eat in three days. Serve with your favorite Mexican meal, or do what I do, and eat them straight out of the jar!